Friday, April 07, 2006

Lost In Translation

I have a mother. Yes, quite a novel concept I know. As Mother’s Day approaches, it has been bringing to light several things I have been learning about my mother, especially over the past year. My mother and I are very different, and yet the same, which makes for a unique relationship. I often felt as a teenager that she just didn’t “get” me, and in typical teen form, wrote it off to her being old and totally out of touch with the real world.

Isn’t it amazing how, even as an adult, some of those past attitudes sneak into your psyche despite the fact you’re a grown up? I happen to live 6,000 miles away from my mother, which creates interesting, and many times confusing, communication attempts. We have recently just come out of a dark patch where neither of us was truly being “real” with each other, and it finally took a neutral third party to step in and help guide us back to all the things we love about each other. Much of the issue had to do with the fact that I had forgotten she was a deep-feeling human being, with a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. I just made the assumption she was being critical.

So with Mother’s Day just around the corner, why don’t you not only give your mom flowers, candy and a nice dinner out, but give her a break. She’s spent a lot of time being your mom, so now let her be your friend as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home